Monday, June 24, 2013

Book 4: Keeper

It's been 9 days since I last posted, which means I haven't had a chance to read until today.  I just finished Keeper by Kathi Appelt.  Kathi Appelt is a Texas author and has received the Newbery Honor Award for The Underneath 

Keeper takes place on the Texas coast and revolves around family, mistakes, mermaids, a Blue Moon, and a ten year old girl named Keeper .  Keeper lives with Signe, having had her mother leave her when she was just three years old. She has wonderful relationships with Dogie, the owner of a surf shop on an old yellow school bus, and his dog, Too;  Mr. Beauchamp and his one-eyed cat Sinbad; and Signe, along with their dog, BD (Best Dog), and rescued seagull, Captain.  This story takes place during a 24 hour time period, with flashbacks that give the reader insight to what has caused the main event taking place throughout the book.

Even though this story is about a ten year old girl, there are some issues brought up that are meant for older readers.  I would not recommend elementary students read this, instead waiting until middle or high school for this one.

Keeper by Kathi Appelt

No comments:

Post a Comment